Saturday, December 12, 2009

Introducing Hannah Grace McCartney

Last night around 10:00 as I was trying to fall asleep I thought I felt a trickle of water. I woke Nathan up, called the doctor, and they said to go to the hospital to check things out. They didn't want me hanging out at home since she was breech. So off to the hospital we went, where they did some magic test to see if you're leaking amniotic fluid. The test came back negative so we went back home. Lucking it wasn't busy and we were back in bed a little before midnight. At 6:45 the next morning I woke up and everything was wet. I took a shower and then came out to talk to Nathan. He convinced me I needed to call the doctor again even though I felt silly since it had only been a few hours. The doctor said to go back to the hospital for them to check me again. They did the fluid test again and this time it was positive. So they tried to page my doctor and get things started. Apparently my doctor was out of town so they scheduled my C-section for 11:30 with the on call doctor.

At 12:13 pm Hannah Grace McCartney was born. Nathan tried to get the doctor to deliver her at 12:12 so she could be born on 12/12 at 12:12. As you can see from the photo she was definitely a breech baby because her legs want to curl up. I think they look like froggy legs.


After they stitched me up and brought be back to my room they brought her in for me to meet her. It was love at first sight! She was really fussy, would not feed, and could not calm down. So, they brought her back to they nursery and figured out she still had amniotic fluid in her lungs. This is common for C-section babies because the fluid normally gets squeezed out as they go through the birth canal. They laid her on her tummy to help her breathing and after a few hours brought her back to me. We did a few attempts at feeding but she was still pretty fussy. The doctors weren't concerned thought since she was only a few hours old.

By the next morning she was much happier and we were beginning to figure the whole feeding thing out. After each feeding Nathan would get her all swaddled tight (He is quite the expert!) and she would sleep.

No comments: